Touched by an Angel
We, unaccustomed to courage
exiles from delight
live coiled in shells of loneliness
until love leaves its high holy temple
and comes into our sight
to liberate us into life.
and in its train come ecstasies
old memories of pleasure
ancient histories of pain.
Yet if we are bold,
love strikes away the chains of fear
from our souls.
We are weaned from our timidity
In the flush of love's light
we dare be brave
And suddenly we see
that love costs all we are
and will ever be.
Yet it is only love
which sets us free.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Touched by an Angel by Maya Angelou )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- A.Pushkin, To a portrait of Zhukovsky - .., Lyudmila Purgina
- A.Pushkin, To Zhukovsky - translation (r.., Lyudmila Purgina
- RUINS, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- A.Blok, To Vyacheslav Ivanov - Translati.., Lyudmila Purgina
- Contour Of Life, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A.Blok, To Anna Akhmatova - Translation .., Lyudmila Purgina
- A.Blok, And again - the gusts... - Trans.., Lyudmila Purgina
- A.Blok, A Painter - Translation (Rus.), Lyudmila Purgina
- One time..., Lyudmila Purgina
- A.Blok, Oh, no! You can't take off spell.., Lyudmila Purgina