Glen Martin Fitch
TO THE MUSES: consider yourselves invoked
Oh welcome sisters of the sacred well,
Who married Cadmus, mourned Achilles' soul.
You guard the chest of endless unsung scrolls,
What greater tales have you yet left to tell?
Between your magic horse's rhythmic wings
Each anxious novice begged to hear some word.
You teased dull minds with chanting overheard
To make weak witted Ancients humbly sing.
Now poets talk. Deriding tongues demand.
They lie if they affirm. They plot to teach.
Untempered frenzy, chance alone in hand,
No magic in their words, their poems they preach!
They know you not. Your spirit I'll defend.
Through me, I thank you, this poem you have penned.
Glen Martin Fitch's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (TO THE MUSES: consider yourselves invoked by Glen Martin Fitch )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- Snip!, Lawrence Beck
- Today I learned that I am an orphan - Th.., Dee Jay
- To Glorify Jesus, Tom Zart
- I only scribed dirge but she killed thee.., Sir Toby Moses
- I only scribed a dirge but she killed th.., Sir Toby Moses
- Imitation., Tony Adah
- Stupid Wife, kassem oude
- Suicide Note., Tony Adah
- Everything Nothing, Ruby Honeytip
- I Lost My Heart A Time Ago, Valerie Dohren