Third World Debt
Banks, awash with money,
offered loans to poor nations willy-nilly,
to governments corrupt and sleazy.
The loans were frittered away
on projects useless and fancy,
without a care as how to repay
debts that would be due one day.
Poor nations were soon in default,
Banks rushed to reschedule the debt,
pretending to ease the nations’ plight,
while adding interest to more interest.
The banks know and understand
the huge loans will never be paid,
but continue to demand
rescheduling debts already rescheduled.
The lot of the poor has worsened,
their hopes dashed,
their dreams abandoned.
The poor are harshly judged,
the helpless are severely scourged,
the innocents are unjustly condemned,
nailed to the cross of corruption and greed.
The debt is a painful crown of thorns
pressed upon the brow of poor nations.
Interest rates are sharp iron nails
cruelly driven into their feet and hands.
The crucified in agony bleeds,
entreats the passing world to help;
but the world has no intention to stop
and bring down the crucified from the cross.
Isam Hussain's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Third World Debt by Isam Hussain )
- High Rollers, Liilia Talts Morrison
- Nightmares at your feet, Nikola Pajtic
- Dying roosters, Nikola Pajtic
- Narcissus, Mark Heathcote
- Birthday, bryan wallace
- My Jason Lytle Suggestion, Mark R. Elias
- Poetic Aspirations, Joe Hughes visit joehughes.o ..
- Nappy Change, Joe Hughes visit joehughes.o ..
- Holding Closely, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Rock an' Roller, Joe Hughes visit joehughes.o ..
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Heather Burns