Third World Debt
Banks, awash with money,
offered loans to poor nations willy-nilly,
to governments corrupt and sleazy.
The loans were frittered away
on projects useless and fancy,
without a care as how to repay
debts that would be due one day.
Poor nations were soon in default,
Banks rushed to reschedule the debt,
pretending to ease the nations’ plight,
while adding interest to more interest.
The banks know and understand
the huge loans will never be paid,
but continue to demand
rescheduling debts already rescheduled.
The lot of the poor has worsened,
their hopes dashed,
their dreams abandoned.
The poor are harshly judged,
the helpless are severely scourged,
the innocents are unjustly condemned,
nailed to the cross of corruption and greed.
The debt is a painful crown of thorns
pressed upon the brow of poor nations.
Interest rates are sharp iron nails
cruelly driven into their feet and hands.
The crucified in agony bleeds,
entreats the passing world to help;
but the world has no intention to stop
and bring down the crucified from the cross.
Isam Hussain's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Third World Debt by Isam Hussain )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Dispersion of Time, Musfiq us shaleheen
- Honour Killing (For The Arabic People), Bijay Kant Dubey
- You Are In My Way, Susan Lacovara
- I FORGIVE YOU 10 WORD, Beryl Dov
- THE 4 STAGES OF YOUR CHILDREN'S LOVE, Beryl Dov
- SEARCH FOR PASSION 10 WORD, Beryl Dov
- How do i get to the top of the mountain, cristobal Benjumea
- HONESTY 10 WORD, Beryl Dov
- How do i get to the p of the mountain, cristobal Benjumea
- FRIENDS VS. ENEMIES 10 WORD, Beryl Dov