The Unrolling Expanse
Before my eyes,
The sea stretches far;
An infinite scroll of chiffon
Rolling and unrolling
In shades of green and sapphire
A calm expanse with feeble waves
In its sedate hours of brooding silence
As if siezed by an uncanny lassitude
Lying in majesty,
Swinging in ecstasy.
Within this mammoth silver submarine,
How many mysterious live forms thrive!
What curious shaped corals, what varied sea urchins!
What wealth of fish, what gigantic mammals!
Between the blue sky above
And the blue sea below
I see seagulls fly,
The long beaked pelicans prey,
Grampuses heaving their huge forms,
Above the calm surface
And the milky spray
Tossing shiny pearls
Upon the stretching naked strands.
I can see a distant sail
And the hull of a ship,
Gliding over undulating waves,
Leaving a frothy trail behind
With water churning and spiraling around
Where sharks and seals and dolphins swim
Piles of silver clouds move above
And the golden sands stretch below
With periwinkles, crabs and shells
Scattered by the receding waves
Splashing tides, dancing weeds
Rising crescendo, falling rhythm
Oh! What a splendid scene
In the rosy gleam of this evening!
And what delectable mélange
Of tinkling sensory delights!
Valsa George's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Unrolling Expanse by Valsa George )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- O Fanantic, I Can Se It, Bijay Kant Dubey
- O Man, Where Will You Go With Your Funda.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Gently Stirs The Breeze, Rondeau, Captain Cur
- She, Maya Hanson (mye3 poet)
- Back To The Beginning, Maya Hanson (mye3 poet)
- Honour Killing, What Will You Get Killin.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- The bark, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- This Is India, Here A Village Fool Can A.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- All The Time The Talk About Fanaticism &.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Helpless, Robert Melliard