Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
The time has come for us to become madmen in your chain
The time has come for us to become madmen in your chain, to
burst our bonds and become estranged from all;
To yield up our souls, no more to bear the disgrace of such a
soul, to set fire to our house, and run like fire to the tavern.
Until we ferment, we shall not escape from this vat of the
world- how then shall we become intimate with the lip of that
flagon and bowl?
Listen to the words from a madman: do not suppose that we
become true men until we die.
It is necessary that we should become more inverted than the
tip of a comb in the top of the twisted tress of felicity;
Spread our wings and pinions like a tree in the orchard, if like
a seed we are to be scattered on this road of annihilation.
Though we are of stone, we shall become like wax for you
seal; though we be candles, we shall become a moth in the track
of your light.
Though we are kings, we shall travel straight as rocks for your
sake, that we may become blessed through your queen on this
In the face of the mirror of love we must not breathe a word of
ourselves; we must become intimate with your treasure when
we are changed to waste.
Like the tale of the heart we must be without bread or ending,
that we may become dwellers in the heart of lovers like a tale.
If he acts like the seeker, we shall attain to being sought; if he acts
the key, we shall become all the wards of the lock.
If Mostafa does not make his way and couch in our hearts, it is
meet that we should lament and become like the Wailing
No, be silent; for one must observe silence towards the watch-
man when we go towards the pavilion by night.
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The time has come for us to become madmen in your chain by Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi )
Did you read them?
- In The Blue Hour, Nathalie Handal
- The Day Monsoon Appeared Upon My Eyes, Narayana Raghavan
- Bethlehem, Nathalie Handal
- Maa, sushant jha
- Tonight, Nathalie Handal
- Black Beans, Edward Kofi Louis
- Humble Yourself, Edward Kofi Louis
- Gauravshali Bihar, sushant jha
- Exiled Sentence, Nathalie Handal
- Transcendent Moment, Edward Kofi Louis
Poem of the Day
- nugget, rwetewrt erwtwer
- Mid-Term Break, Seamus Heaney
- bra maidenform, rwetewrt erwtwer
- healthy back bag, rwetewrt erwtwer
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Being With You, Heather Burns
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- rwetewrt erwtwer
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)