The king of its domain
Where the mountain and the canopy of the sky meets
high above the horizon
in the heavens near to the sun,
where the waterfalls rush to the earth,
high up in the sky where the air is still clean
is where the eagle is free in the blue
and with wings spanned open
it glides on the breeze
as a king in its domain
and is only a black and white speck
in the sky.
Its mating call can be heard
over the veldt, the valleys and mountain tops.
Out of sight on a rock-face
the eagle builds its nest
and raises a family.
The eyes of the eagle are always alert,
focussed and fixed on the escarpment below
which is its hunting ground.
Swift and accurate with overwhelming speed
the eagle dives to overcomes its prey
and almost unseen
it becomes a part of the blue again.
Daleen Enslinstrydom's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The king of its domain by Daleen Enslinstrydom )
- Examined, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Trance in the rain, Nassy Fesharaki
- Azal se mauzood hoon..., Azhar Sabri
- Time Chases Me, Neela Nath
- Elimination, Hans Raj Sharma
- We have come thru..., bill costley
- The elements of loss, nick feiner
- Lives short lived, nick feiner
- Waiting to bloom, nick feiner
- Woman Or Mermaid?, Marcondes Pereira