The gentle rain
I went to bed seeking relief from my pain
There in slumber I remained till day break
Slowly awake listening to the fall of spring rain,
Gently pouring down from the pottery slate.
Night had gone away and the usual light was late
Held back in atmosphere by the gently falling rain
Then suddenly the showers open heaven's gate,
And parted the clouds that were in silent restrain.
The gentle falling rain came with superior fame,
Whose vapor became stronger and enlightening?
When the rain came bringing fine leads of grain,
Each drop that stays weighs a ton of blessing.
When rain washes the dust from the tree leaves
It prepares for the sun to polish in gold and green,
And make fields stand out with royal host of flowers
Dress in natures halo as saintly minds that are clean.
We can learn from the rain when all earth is stain,
And needs a wash, there is no restrain or sacrifice
That should stop the process needed for cleansing
And make us clean again for all heaven to rejoice.
Gerry Legister's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The gentle rain by Gerry Legister )
- The Real Me, Margaret Alice Second
- kiss me hardy, george albot
- When Will I Wake, Anirudh Rawat
- Silencio en ingles, Donnie Wolff
- Our Lewd Obscene and Vulgar Episodes, Hamid Vitalis
- Life, Anirudh Rawat
- If You Stop Loving Me, Fatima Nusairat
- Rain And The Shadows, Anirudh Rawat
- Beautiful Girl, Anirudh Rawat
- Someday, Ryan Telebwe
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Gray Room, Wallace Stevens
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1644 - 1694)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)