The Dolphin II
Then the phone rings- 'no data':
into the grinning barracuda over the range
tessled onto plaster from bits of glass
and given me by Jorge, my exile friend,
the dolphin-image alters;
(that's Jorge, who sometimes wishes he'd
stayed home in Cuba, but whose art
sells well and gets better- more complex,
adding figures, improving narrative-
he'll do ok if he steers clear of drugs) -
and the dolphin's away-
(irid fish, not the mammal,)
to come again another day,
leaving me the odor of salt spray
a sort of maritime uncinate fit
triggered by who knows what?
a blue burner flame? A cat's cry?
a tiny blood vessel bursting?
an enzyme that blossomed or failed to?
a synapse that synapsed or didn't?
The possibilities are endless and valid, all,
but none provable. Nothing is.
That's simply the way memory works.
Don't worry, though, it'll be back.
Heaven knows, we need our memories.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Dolphin II by Morgan Michaels )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Conscientious Objector, Edna St. Vincent Millay
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
Poem of the Day
- Reality to be face, Habib Imtiaz kinkhabwala Kin ..
- Lovers of the sun, Tony md chamasense
- A Lucky Penny, Hebert Logerie
- A Letter for a Broken Hearted, Reagan A. Latumbo
- Allure And Mystique, Margaret Alice Second
- Beware, Tony md chamasense
- Longing., Jak Black
- Summer Nights, Deborah Ager
- The Old House, Paul Gerard Reed
- The role of Kama, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.