Two tigers took their ease at last,
Companions to a fault,
Yet now the hunt and feast had past
They called things to a halt...
Breathe in, breathe out and not much more
But flick a tail or two,
The other creatures to ignore,
For what was left to do?
At times like these, the sun beats down,
Life takes a slower turn
And tigers melt away each frown,
No lessons left to learn...
No fights to fight, just faithful friends,
An afternoon's repose,
Yes, this is how each tiger spends
His time apart from foes...
Two tigers taking in the sun
And watching clouds glide by,
Birds flying high till one-by-one
They've flown across the sky...
With trees still standing year-by-year
And hills both left and right,
Two tigers' hearts were filled with cheer,
Their future looking bright...
Denis Martindale, copyright, March 2013.
The poem is based on the magnificent painting
by Stephen Gayford called 'The Companions II'.
More Stephen Gayford poems here:
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Companions by Denis Martindale )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 February 1970-)
(27 December 1797 – 15 February 1869)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Carpe Diem, Naveed Khalid
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Tumhe main Peyar Nehi de, Kumar Vishwas
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
- Main To Jhonka Hu Hava Ka Ura Le Jaunga, Kumar Vishwas
Poem of the Day
- The PH Forum Ru-Ku Trifecta..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- You Never Know, Ifthekar Ifthi
- The Real Fruit, Nash Thomas
- Promise And Possibility, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Poem N10, Kristian Djordjanov
- Poem N9, Kristian Djordjanov
- Misunderstood, LLDr. Gyd
- Poem N8, Kristian Djordjanov
- Poem N7, Kristian Djordjanov
- Twilight of Love, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan