Tear Drops And Closed Caskets The Good Die Young.
I went to a party, Mom,
I remembered what you said.
You told me not to drink and drive, Mom,
So I drank sprite instead.
I felt really proud inside, Mom,
The way you said I would.
I didn't drink and drive, Mom,
Even though the others said I should.
I know I did the right thing, Mom,
I know you're always right.
Now the party is finally ending, Mom,
As everyone drives out of sight.
As I got into my car, Mom,
I knew I'd get home in one piece,
Because of the way you raised me, Mom,
So responsible and sweet.
I started to drive away, Mom,
But as I pulled onto the road,
The other car didn't see me, Mom,
And it hit me like a load.
As I lie here on the pavement, Mom,
I hear the policeman say,
The other guy is drunk, Mom,
And now I'm the one who'll pay.
I'm lying here dying, Mom,
I wish you'd get here soon.
How come this happened to me, Mom?
My life burst like a balloon.
There is blood all around me, Mom,
Most of it is mine.
I hear the paramedic say, Mom,
i'll be dead in a short time.
I just wanted to tell you, Mom,
I swear I didn't drink.
It was the others, Mom,
The others didn't think.
He didn't know where he was going, Mom,
He was probably at the same party as I.
The only difference is, Mom,
He drank, and I will die.
Why do people drink, Mom?
It can ruin your whole life.
I'm feeling sharp pains now, Mom,
Pains just like a knife.
The guy who hit me is walking, Mom,
I don't think it's fair.
I'm lying here dying, Mom,
While all he can do is stare.
Tell my brother not to cry, Mom,
Tell Daddy to be brave.
And when I get to heaven, Mom,
Write 'Daddy's Girl' on my grave.
Someone should have told him, Mom,
Not to drink and drive.
If only they'd have take the time, Mom,
I would still be alive.
My breath is getting shorter, Mom,
I'm becoming very scared.
Please don't cry for me, Mom,
Because when I needed you, you were always there.
I have one last question, Mom,
Before I say good-bye.
I didn't ever drink, Mom,
So why am I to die?
This is the end, Mom,
I wish I could look you in the eye.
To say these final words, Mom,
I love you, and good-bye
Tamara Moir's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Tear Drops And Closed Caskets The Good Die Young. by Tamara Moir )
- Sonnet: Life Looks Strange, Dr John Celes
- The Real Me, Margaret Alice Second
- kiss me hardy, george albot
- When Will I Wake, Anirudh Rawat
- Silencio en ingles, Donnie Wolff
- Our Lewd Obscene and Vulgar Episodes, Hamid Vitalis
- Life, Anirudh Rawat
- If You Stop Loving Me, Fatima Nusairat
- Rain And The Shadows, Anirudh Rawat
- Beautiful Girl, Anirudh Rawat
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Gray Room, Wallace Stevens
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1644 - 1694)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)