A sweet dream is not a dream
As it seems, like a vapor hinges on slopping hill
To evaporate meekly with suns ray
Or to be dispersed by storming gale.
Scatter and fallen over lives misery, thou
Unaccounted jewel etherial in Gods treasury.
Like ruler of day appear in dawn,
Lure the human souls to play
With hidden wants flourishing ever on infant steed.
Men talk, laugh and unfold their hearts liberty ere thee.
Then your noon comes with slimming sleep
Weakens in fancies trimming wings
Like a caged bird or like a butterfly shedding its untimely hues.
Thy apparitions appear like a blue moon that
Bid us adieu with selfish pace
Leaving us in taller forms unnatural at drowsy state.
Such a power you have though reticent,
Hangs throughout the day like afternoon melancholy
Till another day comes to play laced with common story.
Thou child of wonder, playful and sweet,
Not too known but not fully unknown,
Amaze us utmost even in your brief sojourn
Revealing all feasting roles from yon magic case,
Then fled like truant meteor from midnight sky
Dropping trail of laughters and joys
And valence of sweetened memoirs
Even on doleful heavy hours.
shuvo chakraborty's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Sweet Dream by shuvo chakraborty )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1644 - 1694)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Boy Who Laughed At Santa Claus, Ogden Nash
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- Mistletoe, Walter de la Mare
Poem of the Day
- True Love Never Dies, lou parks
- Untitled VII, Sierra Staten
- The unblamenesses allay wounds, Pijush Biswas
- I move, so I am, Tanja Henderson
- Life Dances, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Looking Kyle In the Eyes, Kyle Schlicher
- Besten Dank für den Gruss, Wolfgang Steinmann
- Birthday poem, Wala' Qamhieh
- If you want to be my inspirer, Elius Rubby
- Being in love, Sahra Hussein