Song - Say, Lovely Dream
Say, lovely dream, where couldst thou find
Shadows to counterfeit that face?
Colors of this glorious kind
Come not from any mortal place.
In heaven itself thou sure wert drest
With that angel-like disguise;
Thus deluded am I blest,
And see my joy with closed eyes.
But, ah, this image is too kind
To be other than a dream!
Cruel Sacharissa's mind
Never put on that sweet extreme.
Fair dream, if thou intend'st me grace,
Change that heavenly face of thine;
Paint despised love in thy face,
And make it to appear like mine.
Pale, wan, and meager let it look,
With a pity-moving shape,
Such as wander by the brook
Of Lethe, or from graves escape.
Then to that matchless nymph appear,
In whose shape thou shinest so,
Softly in her sleeping ear,
With humble words express my woe.
Perhaps from greatness, state, and pride,
Thus surprised she may fall:
Sleep does disproportion hide,
And, death resembling, equals all.
Edmund Waller's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Song - Say, Lovely Dream by Edmund Waller )
- Really Cancerous, RAJESH.C BOSE
- Prestiage, Vishal Sharma
- Halloween, Damian Murphy
- YOUNG AND INNOCENT, Philo Yan
- Tale of the Neck, Ima Ryma
- Life's Lived Long Lessons, Katherine Nordhaus
- Nigah-e-naaz (Hindi), Rajnish Manga
- चाँद रात में सैर, Rajnish Manga
- Passages of Time, Phil Soar
- Listening To Music, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- bra maidenform, rwetewrt erwtwer
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Flower of Love, Oscar Wilde
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- rwetewrt erwtwer
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)