'SNATCHING OF THE GOAT'
Germany, stationed there were two regiments,
Welsh boys with 'fun'-taking comments.
The "Black Mafia" did n't take too kindly to that,
Some thing they would have to do, matter of fact!
Therefore, a daring plan they did hatch,
The Welsh mascot goat they would snatch.
Worse for wear were the ‘gang of four',
Out on the drink the night before.
The very idea they did conceive,
Some how they did achieve!
They shaved its bloody beard off to leave a nice smooth chin,
In addition, painted "Rifles" colours on its coat and skin.
The squaddies' were well gone and had not realised,
The flipping poor goat was traumatised!
So they had launched their 'sucessful' cheeky raid,
Next day was the Queen's big parade.
The Welsh mascot never got to the Queen's bash,
Revenge was taken by the "Black Mafia" whilst on the lash.
Their plan worked a treat, but word did get about,
They have to face the music when the truth was out.
And it did! The goat had to be returned,
In addition, ‘punishment' had been confirmed.
The ‘culprits' were never revealed,
Their Battalion never squealed!
All of them were confined to barracks,
Commander saw the funny side amid wisecracks.
The "Taffies"stopped taking the ‘Mick',
The ‘Kid-Napping' seemed to do the trick.
No longer did they boast or gloat,
Remembering the ‘ordeal' of their goat!
guy lipmore's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem ('SNATCHING OF THE GOAT' by guy lipmore )
- Resurgence, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Returning from the Broken Mirror Myth, Gabriel Sumon
- Tour Of Life, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- ZZ Animals Flunk These 2014 Candidates, Saiom Shriver
- my pool days, lee fones
- Enough is enough, Pat Raia
- Cherry on Top Sundries Shoppe, Steve Kittell
- Contemporary-time Indian English Poets A.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Importance of compassion, gajanan mishra
- A Flower Which Dreams, Rohit Sapra
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Thing of Beauty (Endymion), John Keats
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)