'SNATCHING OF THE GOAT'
Germany, stationed there were two regiments,
Welsh boys with 'fun'-taking comments.
The "Black Mafia" did n't take too kindly to that,
Some thing they would have to do, matter of fact!
Therefore, a daring plan they did hatch,
The Welsh mascot goat they would snatch.
Worse for wear were the ‘gang of four',
Out on the drink the night before.
The very idea they did conceive,
Some how they did achieve!
They shaved its bloody beard off to leave a nice smooth chin,
In addition, painted "Rifles" colours on its coat and skin.
The squaddies' were well gone and had not realised,
The flipping poor goat was traumatised!
So they had launched their 'sucessful' cheeky raid,
Next day was the Queen's big parade.
The Welsh mascot never got to the Queen's bash,
Revenge was taken by the "Black Mafia" whilst on the lash.
Their plan worked a treat, but word did get about,
They have to face the music when the truth was out.
And it did! The goat had to be returned,
In addition, ‘punishment' had been confirmed.
The ‘culprits' were never revealed,
Their Battalion never squealed!
All of them were confined to barracks,
Commander saw the funny side amid wisecracks.
The "Taffies"stopped taking the ‘Mick',
The ‘Kid-Napping' seemed to do the trick.
No longer did they boast or gloat,
Remembering the ‘ordeal' of their goat!
guy lipmore's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem ('SNATCHING OF THE GOAT' by guy lipmore )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Matilda Who told Lies, and was Burned to.., Hilaire Belloc
Poem of the Day
- I realized why we get hurt, Tiyani Shadrack Manganya
- That fatal day to all, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Love Note 10, Michael P. McParland
- Secularism in true sense, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Mark o Connor's ballad of a man from sno.., Juwon Daniel
- you need to know: (, Manauwer Raza
- Solitary song, gajanan mishra
- To Sleep I Go, Michael P. McParland
- Beneath The Joy, Margaret Moran
- This funny thing called Snow, Angell Afinowi