Promise and the Outlaw
Promise preceded the law,
Watched over the rise of law,
Replaced the law.
Not that it's still not the case
That if you don't misbehave
You'll still be following the law,
But the law was never what was all.
Promise is saviour
Releases us from misbehaviour
Which we cannot release at all.
We live under law.
Proof of the existence of promise,
Will be the existence of life without law.
douglas scotney's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Promise and the Outlaw by douglas scotney )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- FRAU OHNE FREIHEIT FUR GEWISSEN, alexander opicho
- Killing Chickens, Bruce Weigl
- My Little Idol, Tosin Abegunde
- Her Life Runs Like a Red Silk Flag, Bruce Weigl
- A Ride To Forever, Faraj Nyandiko
- Elegy for Peter, Bruce Weigl
- parental guidance unfin, lee fones
- Missing of the Birds, Michael Lee Johnson
- Schizophrenia Night, Michael Lee Johnson
- late night vision, Gulsher john