Popcorn and Ticket Stubs
When the circus left town,
it took all of my ex-lovers with it.
I was relieved.
I had been lining them up like exhibits
and torturing myself with their entertainment.
A few bloomed more colorful and delicate
as they grew away from touch. Their personalities
became banners, staked to the ground by rope,
whipping with gusts of storms. Others morphed
into scaly haunts of teeth and horns.
Eyes look outward.
This training of pointing
reconstructs bodies as rifles.
Fingernails and rusted thought beasts
reach farthest. Other apparitions
hide within the wreckage –
smeared names and ghost charms.
I have never known the magic
of parlor talk and blurring lights
to keep an audience.
I pay my fee.
I enjoy the show through the closing hour.
It rolled out on a Sunday,
a sandy outline shrinking
from my morning toast. It took admissions
and earnings from games
I enjoyed losing.
Colin Gilbert's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Popcorn and Ticket Stubs by Colin Gilbert )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(19 January 1919 - 10 May 2002)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- An Almost Made Up Poem, Charles Bukowski
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Your Laughter, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
Poem of the Day
- Electric Love, Suresh Dogra
- Capturing An Awareness, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Letting Imagination Run, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A river, Leong Ming Loong
- The End of the Road, Sandra Feldman
- Silent Conversation, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Serenity Is Placed, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Shards Of Emotion, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- WHAT IF CHRIST WAS NOT, Michael P. Johnson
- Another Conquest, RoseAnn V. Shawiak