Popcorn and Ticket Stubs
When the circus left town,
it took all of my ex-lovers with it.
I was relieved.
I had been lining them up like exhibits
and torturing myself with their entertainment.
A few bloomed more colorful and delicate
as they grew away from touch. Their personalities
became banners, staked to the ground by rope,
whipping with gusts of storms. Others morphed
into scaly haunts of teeth and horns.
Eyes look outward.
This training of pointing
reconstructs bodies as rifles.
Fingernails and rusted thought beasts
reach farthest. Other apparitions
hide within the wreckage –
smeared names and ghost charms.
I have never known the magic
of parlor talk and blurring lights
to keep an audience.
I pay my fee.
I enjoy the show through the closing hour.
It rolled out on a Sunday,
a sandy outline shrinking
from my morning toast. It took admissions
and earnings from games
I enjoyed losing.
Colin Gilbert's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Popcorn and Ticket Stubs by Colin Gilbert )
- Dying roosters, Nikola Pajtic
- Narcissus, Mark Heathcote
- Birthday, bryan wallace
- My Jason Lytle Suggestion, Mark R. Elias
- Poetic Aspirations, Joe Hughes visit joehughes.o ..
- Nappy Change, Joe Hughes visit joehughes.o ..
- Holding Closely, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Rock an' Roller, Joe Hughes visit joehughes.o ..
- Living With An Open Heart, Renee Marie
- Love Burns, Angela K Brown
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Heather Burns