Bernard de Ventadorn
Pois preyatz me, senhor
Pois preyatz me, senhor,
qu'eu chan, eu chantarai;
e can cuit chantar, plor
a l'ora c'o essai.
Greu veiretz chantador
be chan, si mal li vai.
Vai me doncs mal d'amor?
Ans mels que no fetz mai!
E doncs, per que m'esmai?
Gran ben e gran onor
conosc que Deus me fai,
qu'eu am la belazor
et ilh me, qu'eu o sai.
Mas eu sui sai, alhor,
e no sai com l'estai!
So m'auci de dolor,
car ochaizo non ai
de soven venir lai.
Amors, e que.m farai?
Si garrai ja ab te?
Ara cuit qu'e.m morrai
del dezirer que.m ve,
si.lh bela lai on jai
no m'aizis pres de se,
qu'eu la manei e bai
et estrenha vas me
so cors blanc, gras e le.
Bona domna, merce
del vostre fin aman!
Mas jonchas, ab col cle,
vos m'autrei e.m coman.
Qu'e.us pliu per bona fe
c'anc re no amei tan.
E si locs s'esdeve,
vos me fatz bel semblan,
que molt n'ai gran talan.
(Since you request me to sing, my Lords, I shall sing.And when I think of singing, I weep just at the moment when I begin. You will hardly ever here a singer who sings well, if he is unhappy. Am I thus unhappy in love? No, rather better than ever. Then why I am I in disarray?
I know that God has done me a great honor, since I love the most beautiful of women and she me, as far as I know. But I am elsewhere, and I do not know how she is, which kills me with sorrow, for I do not often have the opportunity to go there.
Now, Love, what shall I do? Shall I ever be cured of you? Right now I think I will die of the desire that comes upon me, if the fair one invites me to be near her, where she sleeps, so that I can caress and kiss and hold next to mine her body, white, round, and smooth.
Sweet lady, have pity on your faithful lover! Hands joined, head bowed, I commend myself to your mercy. For I swear to you in faith that I have never loved anyone as much as you. And if the right moment occurs, show me your best behavior, for I really desire it so.)
Bernard de Ventadorn's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Pois preyatz me, senhor by Bernard de Ventadorn )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Liliana EL.
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- To A Mouse, Robert Burns
- Address To A Haggis, Robert Burns
- A Bottle And Friend, Robert Burns
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- My Heart's In The Highlands, Robert Burns
- A Winter Night, Robert Burns
- A Man's a Man for A' That, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- Youth, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Prosetic [Prosaic + Poetic], Md. Ziaul Haque
- My Love for You is Reborn, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Kindness, Reagan A. Latumbo
- Walt Whitman: A Curious Poet, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Colouring Under The Light, Mitta Xinindlu
- A Cold Sweet War, V P Mahur
- Chaos Call, Arik Fletcher
- upon new year's, Ivana Valasik
- Double Jeopardy, David Lewis Paget