And it was at that age ... Poetry arrived
in search of me. I don't know, I don't know where
it came from, from winter or a river.
I don't know how or when,
no they were not voices, they were not
words, nor silence,
but from a street I was summoned,
from the branches of night,
abruptly from the others,
among violent fires
or returning alone,
there I was without a face
and it touched me.
I did not know what to say, my mouth
had no way
my eyes were blind,
and something started in my soul,
fever or forgotten wings,
and I made my own way,
and I wrote the first faint line,
faint, without substance, pure
of someone who knows nothing,
and suddenly I saw
with arrows, fire and flowers,
the winding night, the universe.
And I, infinitesimal being,
drunk with the great starry
likeness, image of
felt myself a pure part
of the abyss,
I wheeled with the stars,
my heart broke loose on the wind.
Pablo Neruda's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Poetry by Pablo Neruda )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
Did you read them?
- Sleeping Summers Beauty, Doug Jones
- If William Carlos Williams Had Been Born.., W.B. Keckler
- When will heavens love ever decline us?, Mark Heathcote
- Winning Bee, Jayatissa Liyanage
- Is it Halloween tonight, Mark Heathcote
- Buzzing Bee, Jayatissa Liyanage
- Question Reality, Monk E. Biz
- The Caged, Poet Akinwemimo Idris
- Good Are All Nights, Poet Akinwemimo Idris
- DEADLY EB OLA VIRUS, Chinweokwu Sunlight M. Ndubu ..