Plunging Through The Abyss
Staring up into the dark and dreary sky
Nary a single star I find in sight.
All that's left around me are the insidious shadows that loom
And I smell the scent of fear of my own impending doom.
Spotting a faint sparkle in the great expanse of the dark abyss
I am overcome with an intense feeling of familiarity.
But even as the tiny speck of illumination speeds closer to home
I feel a subtle change in its course and fear overwhelms me.
Flashing memories fall upon me with the suddenness of death
As the shadows of yesterday stealthily crawl up behind me.
Once again I'm thrown tumultuously into a never-ending despair
I clench my eyes & pray for death but no one hears my silent scream.
Searing through my mind like a hot blade slicing through butter
Your words play like a broken record over and over again.
With the force of a pounding mega-sledgehammer
You're breaking down my defences all over again.
Reaching out with a skeleton of an arm, I stretch to reach you
Hot tears streaming down the sides of my pallid face.
I cry out a soulless scream of plea and send it out to you
But the only sound that reverberate is the sound of hopelessness.
Crashing down upon my miserable existence
My shining star tumbles down through the bleak abyss.
Oh would that your aim be true
To end instantly this meaningless life of mine.
Anna Ong's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Plunging Through The Abyss by Anna Ong )
- Fear's Embrace, michael walkerjohn
- A Good Song, tolu ogundare
- The People Worry, michael walkerjohn
- Light Lost, michael walkerjohn
- Reflecting, Josh Terpening
- Word Shadows, michael walkerjohn
- Blockbuster, Lev Brekhman
- Uncertain feeling, Lev Brekhman
- Intricacies of perception, Lev Brekhman
- Brainwash, Lev Brekhman
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Emmonsail's Heath in Winter, John Clare
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- The Brook, Alfred Lord Tennyson
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Frederick George Scott
(7 April 1861 – 19 January 1944)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)