Plunging Through The Abyss
Staring up into the dark and dreary sky
Nary a single star I find in sight.
All that's left around me are the insidious shadows that loom
And I smell the scent of fear of my own impending doom.
Spotting a faint sparkle in the great expanse of the dark abyss
I am overcome with an intense feeling of familiarity.
But even as the tiny speck of illumination speeds closer to home
I feel a subtle change in its course and fear overwhelms me.
Flashing memories fall upon me with the suddenness of death
As the shadows of yesterday stealthily crawl up behind me.
Once again I'm thrown tumultuously into a never-ending despair
I clench my eyes & pray for death but no one hears my silent scream.
Searing through my mind like a hot blade slicing through butter
Your words play like a broken record over and over again.
With the force of a pounding mega-sledgehammer
You're breaking down my defences all over again.
Reaching out with a skeleton of an arm, I stretch to reach you
Hot tears streaming down the sides of my pallid face.
I cry out a soulless scream of plea and send it out to you
But the only sound that reverberate is the sound of hopelessness.
Crashing down upon my miserable existence
My shining star tumbles down through the bleak abyss.
Oh would that your aim be true
To end instantly this meaningless life of mine.
Anna Ong's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Plunging Through The Abyss by Anna Ong )
- थिरिँ बिरिँ #12, Ronjoy Brahma
- Wandering With Affliction, Donald R Charon
- थिरिँ बिरिँ #11, Ronjoy Brahma
- Thoughtful Interlude, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Another Look At Easter, Denis Martindale
- थिरिँ बिरिँ #10, Ronjoy Brahma
- Lost Love Redux, Robert Kane
- When I see u, dipa bhattacharyya
- This Flower, Rohit Sapra
- Pretend, dipa bhattacharyya
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Not Waving but Drowning, Stevie Smith
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Heather Burns