Only In The Minds Of Men
Whre is he when he's needed most
In times of the deepest despair
The father, son, or holy ghost
Why does he never prove he cares?
This god inwhich many still believe
Why has he never shown
Himself to those who suffer and grieve?
They're left to grieve alone.
Those victims of the endless wars
Drowning in the salt water of their tears,
All through the ages no divine pause
Was ever granted to calm their fears.
So this mighty and omnipotent one
Why does he never intervene?
When all other hope is gone
He has never, ever been seen.
So excuse me if I question why
You still believe he sees all,
When no matter how often millions die
He never comes to call.
Perhaps he's too busy to bother about
Our tiny speck of dust
On the outskirts of a small galaxy
In a universe of billions where he must
Have many much more significant
Worlds for him to care for.
Which would be why he's never sent
Help for any plague, or famine, or war.
What if perhaps it could be
That there is a much simpler solution?
And that this so called deity
Came only after man's evolution.
Tom Higgins's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Only In The Minds Of Men by Tom Higgins )
- America, Harold R Hunt Sr
- A Darkened Beauty, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Contemplation-6, another key...., Marshall Gass
- We Speak English., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Discotheque, Marshall Gass
- Come, Come....., Marshall Gass
- From In the mind, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Gramma's house., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Rubber-Band, Marshall Gass
- Stepping Into Your Mind, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)