One Old Gigolo Counsels Another
You take care now, Harold,
and don't slip on the ice
looking for a good bookstore
on the streets of Chicago.
Print is dead, Harold,
and it's being waked
in empty bookstores.
Soon all bookstores
will be dead, Harold,
and then you will have
no good reason
to go out on the ice.
At our age, Harold,
ice can be lethal
so take my advice
and do as I do:
Walk head down
even if there's no ice
so you can avoid
not only the ice
but also the women
disgruntled with men.
Believe me, Harold,
they're out there
armed with bumbershoots.
They prowl the streets now
more than when we were
young and dashing
and making them angry.
They haven't forgotten us.
So for God's sake, Harold,
go out for a walk but
bundle up and take your cane
and walk with your head down.
Do you believe in God, Harold?
I hope you do because
at our age, Harold, ice or a
woman could be the chariot
that takes us over the moon
faster than we'd like.
Donal Mahoney's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (One Old Gigolo Counsels Another by Donal Mahoney )
- Do you have a bird?, Floy Dy (Floyd) Ra (Floydson)
- Frydenlund, Edward Kofi Louis
- The Limit Of Money., Tony Adah
- Haiku ' Help ', miken newman
- Part Of Nature, Edward Kofi Louis
- Hope, Khairul Ahsan
- Lawful And Right, Edward Kofi Louis
- 'La Zona 37', Edward Kofi Louis
- Falling Down, Edward Kofi Louis
- FIRST LOVE, Colin Ian Jeffery
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- November, Thomas Hood
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Robert Louis Stevenson
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)