Louisa Stuart Costello
Night, on the Sea-shore
I have fled from all, and none can now
My way, my wanderings see;
The waters widely round me flow—
I feel that I am free!
Oh! who can wish for sunny day,
When they may look on that lovely ray—
On the moon so pure, so clear, and fair,
When no human form is nigh,
When no human voice can startle the air?
All is silence and secrecy.
No sound but the waters, that, murmuring, move—
No light but the shadowless orb above.
But see! the shadows are gathering fast—
The clear bright orb is gone:
Alas! no beauty can ever last,
That e'er I gaze upon!
The waters that sparkled so bright before
Now moan alone the gloomy shore;
And all is dark—as the fate will be
That spreads its cheerless path for me!
Louisa Stuart Costello's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Night, on the Sea-shore by Louisa Stuart Costello )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- ray of sunshine, ademola oluwabusayo
- what kills you; helps me live, Rodney R. Cooper
- Imagination, Jason J. Yu
- August, Paola Degli Esposti
- Her Beauty., Jason J. Yu
- Nights are cool, hasmukh amathalal
- Shallow Vs. Spiritual, Jason J. Yu
- Runner's High, Jason J. Yu
- Crashing Waves(Seas of Memories), Jason J. Yu
- Light of the Crescent Moon, Rogers Joseph Brown