Morning Mist and Clouds
Moments before dawn I woke up
To the chatter of bulbuls,
And two koels whistling, replying
In counts of nine or ten.
Four coconut trees are sentinels,
Fronting the house across our block.
They are topped by clumps of fronds
Level with my fifth floor window.
The far hill of Chamundi
Is taking shape behind a gauze of mist
Across my window frame.
Sunlight pervades the darkened splay
Of leaflets, densely swaying,
Rippling in a lazy breeze:
Green rapiers flashed out of dark scabbards.
These palms remind me of my books
With pages by the hundred left unturned
Since as a youth, consuming words,
Poetic or prosaic, I never sought in nature's library.
I was curious for words in print.
But how can words replicate
The arrayed droop and bend of palm fronds?
A multitude of long leaves, tall and stiff,
Life-lorn, darkened to a dark brown crisp,
But faithful to their verdant mates
And huddles of ripening coconuts.
The pale-blue-sky is daubed
With smears of pink, fluffs of white and grey,
Dawn's palette lets outlines emerge
From the cresting haze of Chamundi's hill.
Ananta Madhavan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Morning Mist and Clouds by Ananta Madhavan )
Did you read them?
- Tour Of Life, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- ZZ Animals Flunk These 2014 Candidates, Saiom Shriver
- my pool days, lee fones
- Enough is enough, Pat Raia
- A list of the most stupid things said to.., Mae AC.
- Cherry on Top Sundries Shoppe, Steve Kittell
- 'Charlie Girl', Katherine Nordhaus
- Contemporary-time Indian English Poets A.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Importance of compassion, gajanan mishra
- A Flower Which Dreams, Rohit Sapra
Poem of the Day
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Eldorado, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
Ernest Christopher Dowson
(2 August 1867 – 23 February 1900)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)