The moon stays constant in the sky,
Reflecting sunshine here,
As little children ask God why
The moonbeams seem so clear...
And lovers hold each other's hands,
God's moon still granting light,
That few on Earth still understands
Why that moon shines each night...
Yet there it flies, full speed ahead,
Surrounded by God's stars,
His centrepiece that's good as dead,
Yet still remains first class...
Because it serves without complaint,
An orphan, all alone,
No golden rings so it looks quaint,
Like Saturn, so well-known....
A faithful servant, if you will,
The moon brings weight to bear,
Controlling all the tides that spill
And rise again elsewhere...
Such that the awesome oceans move
According to its might,
So it has nothing left to prove,
It merely does what's right...
Some say men walked upon the moon,
Some say that was a lie,
I'm staying here, not going soon,
Like all flesh, meant to die...
Yet that old moon, though dead, endures,
Without the air to breathe,
To glide around on distant tours,
Yet Earth it must not leave...
It's found a home, this world to share,
Companions on the way,
Around the sun, its heat, its glare,
Millenia to stay...
A thousand years will come and go,
The moon defies them all,
Because the Lord declares it so,
Our moon's not meant to fall...
Behold the moon through telescopes,
Behold its battered frame,
Behold the emblem of Man's hopes,
Still shining all the same...
It represents a childlike faith,
Enduring time and space,
Accepting all the strength God gave,
A symbol of God's grace...
Denis Martindale, copyright, November 2013.
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Moonstruck Mankind! by Denis Martindale )
- Always Yours, Michael McParland
- All rich, gajanan mishra
- ما كان ذنبي, قسطاكي الحمصي
- حديث النفس, قسطاكي الحمصي
- A fox in Leeds with unusual needs., Stephen Katona
- Concepts 27, Somanathan Iyer
- More Time, Babatunde Aremu
- The Daughter of the Earth - 30, gajanan mishra
- Last Farewell, Mark Nixon Legaspi
- Travel China Haiku - Chengdu spices, john tiong chunghoo
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Thought, Robert Louis Stevenson
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)