The wild wolf howls at yonder moon,
No sign of happiness,
For twilight comes by, oh so soon,
The daylight to suppress...
The wild wolf knows the moon dance well,
Its gliding left to right,
As if the passing time to tell
To those that have insight...
So no surprises dusk till dawn,
No shifting from its course,
No signs in Heaven meant to warn
The breakers of God's Laws...
The wild wolf howls as if to say,
'I'm not afraid of you!
In fact, you often lead the way,
So credit where it's due...'
The wolf knows not how moons are made,
No telescope has he,
His eyes see only what's displayed
For night-time eyes to see...
While wolves can howl the whole night long,
The moon's in outer space,
To dance along without a song,
In pure majestic grace...
Denis Martindale, copyright, December 2012.
The poem is based on the magnificent painting
by Stephen Gayford called 'Moon Dance'.
More Stephen Gayford poems here:
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Moon Dance by Denis Martindale )
- SOFT POCKET HERCULES, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- You cannot go, gajanan mishra
- Rebecca, Claudia Scott
- DREAM TIME, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- ABOUT NOTHING, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- Humpty Dumpty, michael hagwood
- ELEGY FOR THE LIVING, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- guardian angel, Miss. Tanease Berry
- Queen of Hearts, Tania Montgomery
- hick-eww, Mandolyn ...
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Heather Burns
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)