The wild wolf howls at yonder moon,
No sign of happiness,
For twilight comes by, oh so soon,
The daylight to suppress...
The wild wolf knows the moon dance well,
Its gliding left to right,
As if the passing time to tell
To those that have insight...
So no surprises dusk till dawn,
No shifting from its course,
No signs in Heaven meant to warn
The breakers of God's Laws...
The wild wolf howls as if to say,
'I'm not afraid of you!
In fact, you often lead the way,
So credit where it's due...'
The wolf knows not how moons are made,
No telescope has he,
His eyes see only what's displayed
For night-time eyes to see...
While wolves can howl the whole night long,
The moon's in outer space,
To dance along without a song,
In pure majestic grace...
Denis Martindale, copyright, December 2012.
The poem is based on the magnificent painting
by Stephen Gayford called 'Moon Dance'.
More Stephen Gayford poems here:
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Moon Dance by Denis Martindale )
- Matter Has No Matter, Curtlan Popo
- The snow is pretty., Harold R Hunt Sr
- The bells do ring., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Apple Pie., Harold R Hunt Sr
- The horror show., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Spring, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Love for gramma, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Cogs in Clockwork, Curtlan Popo
- The bike ride, Harold R Hunt Sr
- The morning sun., Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- The Rider, Naomi Shihab Nye
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Naomi Shihab Nye
(12 March 1952)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(18 November 1939)