The wild wolf howls at yonder moon,
No sign of happiness,
For twilight comes by, oh so soon,
The daylight to suppress...
The wild wolf knows the moon dance well,
Its gliding left to right,
As if the passing time to tell
To those that have insight...
So no surprises dusk till dawn,
No shifting from its course,
No signs in Heaven meant to warn
The breakers of God's Laws...
The wild wolf howls as if to say,
'I'm not afraid of you!
In fact, you often lead the way,
So credit where it's due...'
The wolf knows not how moons are made,
No telescope has he,
His eyes see only what's displayed
For night-time eyes to see...
While wolves can howl the whole night long,
The moon's in outer space,
To dance along without a song,
In pure majestic grace...
Denis Martindale, copyright, December 2012.
The poem is based on the magnificent painting
by Stephen Gayford called 'Moon Dance'.
More Stephen Gayford poems here:
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Moon Dance by Denis Martindale )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Doors Of Destiny, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Reproductions Through Music, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Safest place, gajanan mishra
- To whom I am going, gajanan mishra
- In The Process Of Existence, Naveed Akram
- Thy presence, binod bastola
- My Maiden's Love Is Like A Cloud In June, Chibueze Oscar Osuji
- दिल को हरदम dil ko hardam, hasmukh amathalal
- Ode To Envy, Chibueze Oscar Osuji
- Time be quite, Filippo Stella