Mandatory Voting In Canada...
Canadian voter turnout has declined in recent years,
Some party politicians are delighted and have no fears,
They are not interested in democracy so much as party power,
So that they can look down from an Ottawa building tower.
The low turnout rate disenfranchises large sections of the country,
Proportional representation disappears in many counties,
Many low income ridings have a turnout of less than half,
Appointed politicians never smile and seldom laugh.
We should show that voting is important in our organization,
And those who don’t vote will receive a fine and a citation,
Our claim to democracy can fall flat if we refuse to vote,
Some powerful party dictator could grab us by the throat.
James Bredin's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Mandatory Voting In Canada... by James Bredin )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Time be quite, Filippo Stella
- Domestic goddess, Mark Heathcote
- Blank Depression, Chibueze Oscar Osuji
- The tears of human race, Great Emeritus
- Capsule Of Eternity, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- MY own fault, hasmukh amathalal
- on returning to my part time job-, Mandolyn ...
- Write new chapter, hasmukh amathalal
- COPLA 71 INVOCATION: This Bad Guy World, T (no first name) Wignesan
- Gnarly Disposition, Electric Lady