Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
Lord, what a Beloved is mine!
Lord, what a Beloved is mine! I have a sweet quarry; I possess
in my breast a hundred meadows from his reed.
When in anger the messenger comes and repairs towards me,
he says, “Whither are you fleeing? I have business with you.”
Last night I asked the new moon concerning my Moon. The
moon said, “I am running in his wake, my foot is in his dust.”
When the sun arose I said,” How yellow of face you are!” The
sun said, “Out of shame for his countenance I have a face of
“Water, you are prostrate, you are running on your head and
face.” Water said, “Because of his incantation I move like a
“Noble fire, why do you writhe so?” Fire said, “Because of
the lightning of his face my heart is restless.”
“Wind-messenger of the world, why are you light of heart?”
Wind said, “My heart would burn if the choice were mine.”
“Earth, what are you meditation, silent and watchful?” Earth
said, “Within me I have a garden and spring.”
Pass over these elements, God is our succorer; my head is
aching, in my hand I hold wine.
If you have barred sleep to us, the way of intoxication is open.
Since I have one to assist, he offers wine in both hands.
Be silent, that without this tongue the heart may speak; when
I hear the speech of the heart, I feel ashamed of this speech.
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Lord, what a Beloved is mine! by Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi )
Did you read them?
- Why Poet?, Sandra Feldman
- Man, Dilantha Gunawardana
- Kite, Dilantha Gunawardana
- A Middle-Aged First Kiss (2), Dilantha Gunawardana
- Misplaced Trust, Mr. Spock
- No Looking Back (A Follow-up Poem), Dr John Celes
- losing leaves, Leah Dodd
- Worthy, Galina Italyanskaya
- Often I Am Reminded, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- God Knows, Galina Italyanskaya
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stafford's Cabin, Edwin Arlington Robinson
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Love After Love, Derek Walcott
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)