GO TO WORK ON A BRAQUE!
Youths disguised as stockbrokers
Sitting on the grass eating the Sacred Mushroom.
Liverpool I love your hornyhanded tons of soil.
PRAYER FROM A PAINTER TO ALL CAPITALISTS:
Open your wallets and repeat after me
There's one way of being sure of keeping fresh
LIFEBUOY helps you rise again on the 3rd day
after smelling something that smelt like other peoples' socks.
Note for a definition of optimism:
A man trying the door of Yates Wine Lodge
At quarter past four in the afternoon.
I have seen Pare UBU walking across Lime St
And Alfred Jarry cycling down Elliott Street.
And I Saw DEATH in Upper Duke St
Cloak flapping black tall Batman collar
Striding tall shoulders down the hill past the Cathedral brown shoes slightly down at the heel
Unfrocked Chinese mandarins holding lonely feasts in
Falkner Sq gardens to enjoy the snow.
Prostitutes in the snow in Canning St like strange erotic
And Marcel Proust in the Kardomah eating Madeleine
butties dipped in tea.
Wyatt James Virgil and Morgan Earp with Doc Holliday
Shooting it out with the Liver Birds at the Pier Head.
And a Polish gunman young beautiful dark glasses
combatjacket/staggers down Little St Bride St blood
dripping moaning clutches/collapses down a back jigger
coughing/falls in a wilderness of Dazwhite washing
Adrian Henri's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Liverpool Poems by Adrian Henri )
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Lucy Gray, or Solitude, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dulce et Decorum Est, Wilfred Owen
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- A Well-Worn Story, Dorothy Parker
Poem of the Day
- More we walked., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Goodnight Sweet Love 3, Michael P. McParland
- Undercurrent, Asma Riaz Khan
- Ballade [The goat scratches so much it c.., François Villon
- Love Note 6, Michael P. McParland
- Sending Words about Overnight in Fishing.., Luo Zhihai
- Give me 'all of you', Juwon Daniel
- Leprosy eradication., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Beyond The Dotted Lines, Asma Riaz Khan
- if I die young, Juwon Daniel