GO TO WORK ON A BRAQUE!
Youths disguised as stockbrokers
Sitting on the grass eating the Sacred Mushroom.
Liverpool I love your hornyhanded tons of soil.
PRAYER FROM A PAINTER TO ALL CAPITALISTS:
Open your wallets and repeat after me
There's one way of being sure of keeping fresh
LIFEBUOY helps you rise again on the 3rd day
after smelling something that smelt like other peoples' socks.
Note for a definition of optimism:
A man trying the door of Yates Wine Lodge
At quarter past four in the afternoon.
I have seen Pare UBU walking across Lime St
And Alfred Jarry cycling down Elliott Street.
And I Saw DEATH in Upper Duke St
Cloak flapping black tall Batman collar
Striding tall shoulders down the hill past the Cathedral brown shoes slightly down at the heel
Unfrocked Chinese mandarins holding lonely feasts in
Falkner Sq gardens to enjoy the snow.
Prostitutes in the snow in Canning St like strange erotic
And Marcel Proust in the Kardomah eating Madeleine
butties dipped in tea.
Wyatt James Virgil and Morgan Earp with Doc Holliday
Shooting it out with the Liver Birds at the Pier Head.
And a Polish gunman young beautiful dark glasses
combatjacket/staggers down Little St Bride St blood
dripping moaning clutches/collapses down a back jigger
coughing/falls in a wilderness of Dazwhite washing
Adrian Henri's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Liverpool Poems by Adrian Henri )
- Thief, Pijush Biswas
- I Am playing, gajanan mishra
- Everyday Is a TEST, Enoch Owusu Gyamfi
- One Of These Pure Days, Naveed Akram
- Deepavali, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Psalm CVII, Henry Ainsworth
- Even in strife, hasmukh amathalal
- ! DESECRATED POEMS/FLOATING HYPERLINK IN.., Alice Vedral Rivera
- In the midst of ruin there is reparation, Mark Heathcote
- Psalm XXIII, Henry Ainsworth
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)