naked and hungry
among the unfamiliar
passport seized and thrown
on to street to negotiate
his destiny descended
on him by weird quirk of
is the brand name
with visa papers n passport
kept in the custody of one
who promised the promised land!
Anything short of begging
The family DNA came to rescue n he fought back.
The police came to him
for advice, the deprived
knocked at his door,
the hungry was sure to
get fed once with him.
Established his name n fame with his innate goodness yet the stigma
Illegal immigrant loomed.
Illness he couldn't avoid
but how well tended for
Back on feet, happiness restored teasingly. He had
to tie all ends to acquire
documents to attend on
a sick wife his illegal status
didn't allow him to visit
for almost a decade n half.
He landed back with his people
and the wife breathed last!
Neither here nor there, now, again a stranger, this time
among the familiar!
indira babbellapati's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Life's travails by indira babbellapati )
- When Whispers Death, Its Cruel Call!, Dr John Celes
- mother, Dr. Ramesh Chandra Mukhopadh ..
- Say You It, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Burning, Spiritwind Wood
- Somebody Often Keeps Asking, Bijay Kant Dubey
- The devotee shows his angry to the God!, Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Love-bonding With a Muhammedan Girl (Bil.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Mera Amanaat Hai Tum, Amitava Sur
- IN both terms, hasmukh amathalal
- Before The Bullets, Alfred Barna
Poem of the Day
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- O Tell Me The Truth About Love, WH Auden
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- No More Clichés, Octavio Paz
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
Ralph Waldo Emerson
(1803 - 1882)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)