naked and hungry
among the unfamiliar
passport seized and thrown
on to street to negotiate
his destiny descended
on him by weird quirk of
is the brand name
with visa papers n passport
kept in the custody of one
who promised the promised land!
Anything short of begging
The family DNA came to rescue n he fought back.
The police came to him
for advice, the deprived
knocked at his door,
the hungry was sure to
get fed once with him.
Established his name n fame with his innate goodness yet the stigma
Illegal immigrant loomed.
Illness he couldn't avoid
but how well tended for
Back on feet, happiness restored teasingly. He had
to tie all ends to acquire
documents to attend on
a sick wife his illegal status
didn't allow him to visit
for almost a decade n half.
He landed back with his people
and the wife breathed last!
Neither here nor there, now, again a stranger, this time
among the familiar!
indira babbellapati's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Life's travails by indira babbellapati )
- Anthology, Peter Jay Shippy
- THE BESTOWING BOY, Aravind Bhargava
- BE LIKE CHEETAH, Aravind Bhargava
- Hell bent, hasmukh amathalal
- Beautiful stranger, Ahmed Tawfik
- Lynda Bellingham worthily and fondly rem.., Stanley Collymore
- From the Summit, Valsa George
- The Future Of Voices, Peter Jay Shippy
- Only few can medicae, hasmukh amathalal
- Corner, Aparna Chatterjee
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)