Lawrence S. Pertillar
Let's Not Jump To Conclusions
Take a moment.
Do you 'still' insist,
What you've heard about this place...
And the apparent devastation,
That has affected the inhabitants effectively...
Is just hearsay and misappropriated innuendos?
We are in the midst to observe this reality.
'Why is it you choose to be so negative?
Let's not jump to conclusions.
You of all people should know,
That's how rumors their start.
I am sure what we are viewing,
Is a part of some kind of inner city festival.'
And the ones limping around?
Should we also suspect,
They have perfected the appearance...
With an exacting costuming of it?
'You know something?
It has a way of taking the joy,
Out of everything.'
It is not my intention,
Although I did mention it...
To be so clinically dissecting.
And with a cynicism that reflects,
What to me is obvious.
'Don't worry about it.
At least I know...
Your expectations for performance,
Is much higher than mine.
Neither one of us really know,
How much time they were given...
I think what they've done is a great re-enactment.
Others who are viewing this,
Seem to be entertained by it.
There are vendors all over the place.'
Where I'm from they are called 'panhandlers'.
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Let's Not Jump To Conclusions by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
Did you read them?
- Thrilling night, Sneha Celine
- Love Is Not A Feeling, Margaret Alice Second
- a symphony, Cee Bea
- one shouldn't, Neelapu Suresh
- Spring Wood, Knutsford: my place of play, Mark Heathcote
- Mrs. Ullrick, Akhtar Jawad
- See the Beauty of Heaven, Aftab Alam
- Changes after being In love, Sneha Celine
- The Tailor's Daughter - III (The Underw.., Chris Zachariou
- Quicksand of That Good Woman, Donal Mahoney
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Leisure, William Henry Davies
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(9 February 1874 – 12 May 1925)