Lawrence S. Pertillar
Let's Not Jump To Conclusions
Take a moment.
Do you 'still' insist,
What you've heard about this place...
And the apparent devastation,
That has affected the inhabitants effectively...
Is just hearsay and misappropriated innuendos?
We are in the midst to observe this reality.
'Why is it you choose to be so negative?
Let's not jump to conclusions.
You of all people should know,
That's how rumors their start.
I am sure what we are viewing,
Is a part of some kind of inner city festival.'
And the ones limping around?
Should we also suspect,
They have perfected the appearance...
With an exacting costuming of it?
'You know something?
It has a way of taking the joy,
Out of everything.'
It is not my intention,
Although I did mention it...
To be so clinically dissecting.
And with a cynicism that reflects,
What to me is obvious.
'Don't worry about it.
At least I know...
Your expectations for performance,
Is much higher than mine.
Neither one of us really know,
How much time they were given...
I think what they've done is a great re-enactment.
Others who are viewing this,
Seem to be entertained by it.
There are vendors all over the place.'
Where I'm from they are called 'panhandlers'.
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Let's Not Jump To Conclusions by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
- SOME THOUGHTS ABOUT THE SUN, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- I am always with you, gajanan mishra
- SOFT POCKET HERCULES, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- You cannot go, gajanan mishra
- Rebecca, Claudia Scott
- DREAM TIME, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- ABOUT NOTHING, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- Humpty Dumpty, michael hagwood
- ELEGY FOR THE LIVING, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- guardian angel, Miss. Tanease Berry
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Heather Burns
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)