Lawrence S. Pertillar
Let's Not Jump To Conclusions
Take a moment.
Do you 'still' insist,
What you've heard about this place...
And the apparent devastation,
That has affected the inhabitants effectively...
Is just hearsay and misappropriated innuendos?
We are in the midst to observe this reality.
'Why is it you choose to be so negative?
Let's not jump to conclusions.
You of all people should know,
That's how rumors their start.
I am sure what we are viewing,
Is a part of some kind of inner city festival.'
And the ones limping around?
Should we also suspect,
They have perfected the appearance...
With an exacting costuming of it?
'You know something?
It has a way of taking the joy,
Out of everything.'
It is not my intention,
Although I did mention it...
To be so clinically dissecting.
And with a cynicism that reflects,
What to me is obvious.
'Don't worry about it.
At least I know...
Your expectations for performance,
Is much higher than mine.
Neither one of us really know,
How much time they were given...
I think what they've done is a great re-enactment.
Others who are viewing this,
Seem to be entertained by it.
There are vendors all over the place.'
Where I'm from they are called 'panhandlers'.
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Let's Not Jump To Conclusions by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Song Of Despair, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- From what tall lie am I, Madrason writer
- Out Of Body, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Honour my feelings!, Rekha Mandagere
- The End is Coming, michael hagwood
- A pencil on a painting, Ntando.B Da poet
- Distance, Alex Rodriguez
- Fierceless, Alex Rodriguez
- A Thousand More, Smoky Hoss
- i think i left my hand in yours. go look., Mandolyn ...
- Wild cold of novemeber, Alex Rodriguez