Invictus, A Haiku Set for Nelson Mandela
a young Mandela raised
his right fist
Mandela's stories color
1 Nelson Mandela met with the captain of the Springboks rugby team, François Pienaar, implying that a Springboks victory in the 1995 World Cup would unite and inspire the nation. Mandela also shared with him, a British poem, titled 'Invictus' ('undefeated' or 'unconquered') that had inspired him during his time in prison.
2 In South Africa, Nelson Mandela is often referred to by his Xhosa clan name, Madiba, or as Tata ('Father') , and viewed as 'the father of the nation.'
Chenou Liu's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Invictus, A Haiku Set for Nelson Mandela by Chenou Liu )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- I Know, Lyn Paul
- Those Who Know, Monk E. Biz
- peaches on the side, Mandolyn ...
- i could have made s'mores, Mandolyn ...
- Song: State of Fear, Dave SmithWhite
- there's an element in the room, Mandolyn ...
- Goodbye 2014, Michael McParland
- Holding Moments In Cupped Hands, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Beauty, Brianna Kimball
- Seminars, Mark Heathcote