One of my favorite attributes of children, when I see it I feel blessed,
Is the enthusiastic, unbridled innocence with which they all possess.
A child will sing uninhibitedly before he realizes there’s a song.
A child will dance spontaneously whenever music comes along.
A child will draw upon a canvas before she realizes it’s a wall.
A child will climb as high as she can before she knows that she can fall.
A child will run around naked before he realizes there is shame.
And until we teach them differently a child treats everyone the same.
A child will stick her finger anywhere before she knows that thinking’s flawed.
A child will marvel at the heavens before she knows there is a God.
A child will play with a ray of light before he realizes there’s a sun
A child will attempt to pull a trigger...before he realizes it’s a gun.
Since the tragedy at Sandy Hook 173 more children have died by guns
Never again to run around naked or play in the rays of the sun.
Never again to sing, or dance, or draw upon a wall
Never again to marvel at the Heavens, to climb up high, or fall.
These 173 individual cases are everywhere we look
Each tragic death of a child is someone’s Sandy Hook.
Each loss of life...of innocence makes us want to stand up, scream and yell
For we all know with each death our innocence is lost as well.
There are solutions to this problem...solutions we all know
For Heaven’s sake when we needed it we found a cure for Polio!
It’s up to us to help assure our children will survive.
It’s up to us to help ensure their innocence will thrive.
Until we do we’ll continue to grieve but our grieving will be for nought
As we try to explain to our children why their innocence is shot.
Jim Yerman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Innocence by Jim Yerman )
- Let's Live in Peace, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- I Dry My Tears, Poetic Lilly Emery
- Valley of an autumn's night, Raluca Mitra
- The stars that touch a rose is the star.., Raymond Sawyer
- *Halloween Stroll, Alice Vedral Rivera
- चाँद रात में सैर, Rajnish Manga
- Oil In White Robe, Okoemu Barnabas
- I Could Have Loved You, Sandra Feldman
- I Don't Feel Like A Poet Today, Buxton Shippy
- A weirdo, Amgad Samy
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Unity is Strength, S.D. TIWARI
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- Wait, Galway Kinnell
(1 February 1927)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)