In The Trenches
As I lay in the trenches
Under the Hunter's Moon,
My mind ran to the lenches
Cut in a Wiltshire down.
I saw their long black shadows,
The beeches in the lane,
The gray church in the meadows
And my white cottage-plain.
Thinks I, the down lies dreaming
Under that hot moon's eye,
Which sees the shells fly screaming
And men and horses die.
And what makes she, I wonder,
Of the horror and the blood,
And what's her luck, to sunder
The evil from the good?
'T was more than I could compass,
For how was I to think
With such infernal rumpus
In such a blasted stink?
But here's a thought to tally
With t'other. That moon sees
A shrouded German valley
With woods and ghostly trees.
And maybe there's a river
As we have got at home
With poplar-trees aquiver
And clots of whirling foam.
And over there some fellow,
A German and a foe,
Whose gills are turning yellow
As sure as mine are so,
Watches that riding glory
Apparel'd in her gold,
And craves to hear the story
Her frozen lips enfold.
And if he sees as clearly
As I do where her shrine
Must fall, he longs as dearly.
With heart as full as mine.
Maurice Hewlett's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (In The Trenches by Maurice Hewlett )
- PH: Humor: Women6Verses9Men - Who's On T.., Brian Johnston
- forgetting he-huckleberry, I ring-around.., Harindhar Reddy
- Ninja Nejla, Muzaffer Akin
- Design of Life, Rohit Sapra
- My Dear, Dipankar Sadhukhan
- Daisies, Eugene Levich
- A Description Of Mercy, Giles Fletcher The Younger
- Until You Came Along, Shakeela Kingzley
- If you forget, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Hear me, hear me,, Emmanuel George Cefai
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)