In The Trenches
As I lay in the trenches
Under the Hunter's Moon,
My mind ran to the lenches
Cut in a Wiltshire down.
I saw their long black shadows,
The beeches in the lane,
The gray church in the meadows
And my white cottage-plain.
Thinks I, the down lies dreaming
Under that hot moon's eye,
Which sees the shells fly screaming
And men and horses die.
And what makes she, I wonder,
Of the horror and the blood,
And what's her luck, to sunder
The evil from the good?
'T was more than I could compass,
For how was I to think
With such infernal rumpus
In such a blasted stink?
But here's a thought to tally
With t'other. That moon sees
A shrouded German valley
With woods and ghostly trees.
And maybe there's a river
As we have got at home
With poplar-trees aquiver
And clots of whirling foam.
And over there some fellow,
A German and a foe,
Whose gills are turning yellow
As sure as mine are so,
Watches that riding glory
Apparel'd in her gold,
And craves to hear the story
Her frozen lips enfold.
And if he sees as clearly
As I do where her shrine
Must fall, he longs as dearly.
With heart as full as mine.
Maurice Hewlett's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (In The Trenches by Maurice Hewlett )
- Lost Love Redux, Robert Kane
- When I see u, dipa bhattacharyya
- This Flower, Rohit Sapra
- Pretend, dipa bhattacharyya
- This unknown world هذا العالم المجهول, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- IF, dipa bhattacharyya
- This unknown world, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Grace, Scott J. Shepard
- My chidhood poem collection -2, soulful heart
- Pleasant Weather, Royal Flower
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)