She woke me up at dawn,
her suitcase like a little brown dog at her heels.
I sat up and looked out the window
at the snow falling in the stand of blackjack trees.
A bus ticket in her hand.
Then she brought something black up to her mouth,
a plum I thought, but it was an asthma inhaler.
I reached under the bed for my menthols
and she asked if I ever thought of cancer.
Yes, I said, but always as a tree way up ahead
in the distance where it doesn't matter
And I suppose a dead soul must look back at that tree,
so far behind his wagon where it also doesn't matter.
except as a memory of rest or water.
Though to believe any of that, I thought,
you have to accept the premise
that she woke me up at all.
David Berman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Imagining Defeat by David Berman )
- ABSENCE OF LOVE, Ali Faisal
- Black Friar, Naveed Khalid
- AOA▷오피뷰◁모든 구로오피 송파오피걸의 모든것 OPGＡNＤA/ＣOM, sibngnu5 sibngnu5
- iPhone6+ 오피뷰 ⓐ구로오피녀 ⓑ송파오피 대란∠OPGＡNＤA/ＣOM∠, sibngnu5 sibngnu5
- She looked a million dollars, Erato
- L.Messi 오피뷰 구로오피 KTwiz 송파오피 OPGＡNＤA/ＣOM .., sibngnu5 sibngnu5
- From the Lives of My Friends, Michael Dickman
- WHENEVER A LIFE IS TAKEN, Ali Faisal
- VALUE OF LIFE, Ali Faisal
- For Some Slight I Can't Quite Recall, Ross Gay
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Samra, Said Akl
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Tiger, William Blake
- Love's Philosophy, Percy Bysshe Shelley
- Bright Star, John Keats
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1886 - 1967)