Down at the corner barroom
The fellows gibe and jest
For their homelife is too common,
Too vulgar for their taste.
So, when between their teeth
A tussle comes in view,
Each little snip of gossip
Is worth a month of chew.
Should any of their number
Admire a winsome dame,
Hi-ho, it’s off to the sporting
And fast into the game.
They say she is a swimmer
Of Olympian behest;
Why sure, how else could she have
Developed such a - chest?
I wonder, would it tingle
Her ears if she ever knew
How, from that quick and single
Glance, her statistics grew?
And how they tease and kid him
Until his face is scarlet,
And how they gibe an bid him
Woo this pretty starlet.
They have him roped and haltered,
And they almost have him hitched;
I’m sure it’s common knowledge,
So it wasn’t me who snitched.
Why should we spoil their jolly fun
By being too concise,
So we’ll neglect to point out
That she is another’s wife.
Adeline Foster's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (IDLE FOLLY by Adeline Foster )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(1923 - 1998)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(November 1, 1871 – June 5, 1900)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Late Walk, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- Buy Me, My Love, Tom Navarro
- Words mean nothing, Angie Sous
- Not for his sake ليس من اجله, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Final Destination, Tushar Ray
- Our city's curfew, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- No regrets, george albot
- CENTER YOURSELF, Christina Sunrise
- My balls, Nassy Fesharaki
- Transported in Place, Lawrence Beck
- GROUND YOURSELF, Christina Sunrise