Babatunde Idowu Ebenezer
I Am A Poet
Listen to the words rolling out of my mouth like thunder,
Just pause a moment,
And give a thought to the thoughts,
Oozing out of my mind like fire.
Lend me your ears and I shall sing you lullulabies,
And lull you to a peaceful sleep like a newborn.
Come near me and feel,
The vibration of the lyrics,
Of my heart shattering dirges.
Yes, pass across my way
And the rhymes of my
Drumless songs will not
Make you dance but
Siphon out tears from your eyes like raindrops.
But you say I am no poet.
I ask you 'Who is a poet? '
You say writing poems
Does not make one a poet.
Give unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's,
And let the world know,
That Ceasar is the king of every Romans alive.
You say you too are not a poet,
Just somebody who writes down his thoughts,
In a very beautiful way,
Poetry is not your talent,
Just a way you borrowed.
You know yourself well,
Better than anybody else.
But what is poetry,
If not the ability to express your inner thoughts,
In a unique and beautiful way?
I look around me and write,
Down on egret's white plain sheet of paper,
With a pen with ink darker
Than the Ijeshas' local dye,
What I saw in the realm of humans, animals and plants,
In which I live.
In a way that only I could think of doing it.
Is that not uniqueness?
I sleep and dream,
And the next morning,
I sing out what I saw
In the realms of the spirits,
Where humanity is unconscious,
In a way that can make,
The most wicked ghost
Sway its body to the
lyrics of my flowing rhythms.
So carry me up like a baby,
Put me down on the scale of unadulterated poetry,
And write down my weights,
For you to be eligible to sign,
The bold undeletable letters,
Written down with gold on the wall of poetry,
Declaring me a born poet.
Babatunde Idowu Ebenezer's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I Am A Poet by Babatunde Idowu Ebenezer )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- The Shadow Of The Wind., Tony Adah
- True Meaning Of Friendship Quote, thumper 786
- Seesaws المراجيح, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- World Leprosy Week, john tiong chunghoo
- Catch 22 on the Lake District hills., Dan Reynolds
- My Words, Fatima Nusairat
- Jesus And Gandhi: South And North Of Sam.., Saiom Shriver
- I Remember, Ronald Chapman
- The Flash Of The Brahman, Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- Chick Coalition, Saiom Shriver