How pleasant to know Mr. Lear
How pleasant to know Mr. Lear,
Who has written such volumes of stuff.
Some think him ill-tempered and queer,
But a few find him pleasant enough.
His mind is concrete and fastidious,
His nose is remarkably big;
His visage is more or less hideous,
His beard it resembles a wig.
He has ears, and two eyes, and ten fingers,
(Leastways if you reckon two thumbs);
He used to be one of the singers,
But now he is one of the dumbs.
He sits in a beautiful parlour,
With hundreds of books on the wall;
He drinks a great deal of marsala,
But never gets tipsy at all.
He has many friends, laymen and clerical,
Old Foss is the name of his cat;
His body is perfectly spherical,
He weareth a runcible hat.
When he walks in waterproof white,
The children run after him so!
Calling out, "He's gone out in his night-
Gown, that crazy old Englishman, oh!"
He weeps by the side of the ocean,
He weeps on the top of the hill;
He purchases pancakes and lotion,
And chocolate shrimps from the mill.
He reads, but he does not speak, Spanish,
He cannot abide ginger beer;
Ere the days of his pilgrimage vanish,
How pleasant to know Mr. Lear!
Edward Lear's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (How pleasant to know Mr. Lear by Edward Lear )
- He bought Love, Charles Jagongo
- No veg', george albot
- All a Round, Ima Ryma
- And now, hold my hands O mortal!, Preeth Nambiar
- Kaamnaa (DESIRE), Aftab Alam
- Truth is his name, Aftab Alam
- Train to destiny, Aftab Alam
- The Best Day, Meriam Joseph
- Harken, The Rain comest, Sir Toby Moses
- I am blind, Aftab Alam
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(23 November 1920 - 20 April 1970)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)