How pleasant to know Mr. Lear
How pleasant to know Mr. Lear,
Who has written such volumes of stuff.
Some think him ill-tempered and queer,
But a few find him pleasant enough.
His mind is concrete and fastidious,
His nose is remarkably big;
His visage is more or less hideous,
His beard it resembles a wig.
He has ears, and two eyes, and ten fingers,
(Leastways if you reckon two thumbs);
He used to be one of the singers,
But now he is one of the dumbs.
He sits in a beautiful parlour,
With hundreds of books on the wall;
He drinks a great deal of marsala,
But never gets tipsy at all.
He has many friends, laymen and clerical,
Old Foss is the name of his cat;
His body is perfectly spherical,
He weareth a runcible hat.
When he walks in waterproof white,
The children run after him so!
Calling out, "He's gone out in his night-
Gown, that crazy old Englishman, oh!"
He weeps by the side of the ocean,
He weeps on the top of the hill;
He purchases pancakes and lotion,
And chocolate shrimps from the mill.
He reads, but he does not speak, Spanish,
He cannot abide ginger beer;
Ere the days of his pilgrimage vanish,
How pleasant to know Mr. Lear!
Edward Lear's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (How pleasant to know Mr. Lear by Edward Lear )
- Purposeful Enigma, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The Coming Of Harmattan, Tony Adah
- Pursuing Rhythms, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Innocense, ekta mudgal
- What Would Happen, IF I Were Unseen?, Mr. Nobody
- The Buried Past, David Lewis Paget
- Individual Predicaments, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Limerick-1(GIRL-FRIEND OR GRANNY), Saheb Mohapatra
- Question Of Faith, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- So Into Grief, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Drinking Song, William Butler Yeats
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Television, Roald Dahl
- Everything, Anna Akhmatova
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)