Hiapsi (in Yaqui=Heart)
I've been waiting for a call from the guys in Sacramento
to say when they will bring their new pow-wow drum,
me to smudge, say a few words over.
A strong rain storm soaked us three days,
heads down the valley laughing on its way,
sky and sun on the rebound
dazzle the day.
This shoebox converted into a room
becomes my universe, from here my thoughts
twinkle like stars.
I live in three mindsets diverse as
morning, noon and night,
in a white world but I'm not white,
in a Mexican menagerie but not from Mexico,
in fragmented indigenous ways that set me in motion
many moons ago to revive and keep alive,
Yaqui / Tarascan.
In three worlds I have endured
hyphenated and confusing,
a ball of rage and compassion
all wound up in one,
and for decades my spirit sings with the old ones,
some say don't exist.
Two hand drums on a plastic bare book shelf
mimic sun and moon, heartbeats of the people
ever ready for some songs.
Across Longview Road a hawk lands on
a telephone pole, stands stoic
before the sun, suddenly the phone rings,
I rise to dry my eyes and answer the call:
You can start the fire, we're on our way.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hiapsi (in Yaqui=Heart) by manny moreno )
- To The Gates Of Hell, Edward Kofi Louis
- The house where the wife lives like an i.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Ek Lafz Ek Rishta, Bano Ali
- THE PATRIOT, Justice Uchenna Mmahi
- fortress of solutude, ademola oluwabusayo
- Never Feeling The Love, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Change Is Needed, Edward Kofi Louis
- How Can She Learn?, Edward Kofi Louis
- Intimate Conclusions, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- COPLA 107 RESOLUTION: This Bad Guy World, T (no first name) Wignesan