Hiapsi (in Yaqui=Heart)
I've been waiting for a call from the guys in Sacramento
to say when they will bring their new pow-wow drum,
me to smudge, say a few words over.
A strong rain storm soaked us three days,
heads down the valley laughing on its way,
sky and sun on the rebound
dazzle the day.
This shoebox converted into a room
becomes my universe, from here my thoughts
twinkle like stars.
I live in three mindsets diverse as
morning, noon and night,
in a white world but I'm not white,
in a Mexican menagerie but not from Mexico,
in fragmented indigenous ways that set me in motion
many moons ago to revive and keep alive,
Yaqui / Tarascan.
In three worlds I have endured
hyphenated and confusing,
a ball of rage and compassion
all wound up in one,
and for decades my spirit sings with the old ones,
some say don't exist.
Two hand drums on a plastic bare book shelf
mimic sun and moon, heartbeats of the people
ever ready for some songs.
Across Longview Road a hawk lands on
a telephone pole, stands stoic
before the sun, suddenly the phone rings,
I rise to dry my eyes and answer the call:
You can start the fire, we're on our way.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hiapsi (in Yaqui=Heart) by manny moreno )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Battle of our own life, binod bastola
- Before you've brushed your teeth, Mark Heathcote
- Arrival, Tony Adah
- Nigeria I Hail Thee, Tega Akpomraphiphe
- Her Smile, Tega Akpomraphiphe
- ©Getting Over You, Bandile Matsenjwa
- Lost and Found (one f word at the end), Anthony Di'anno
- raining in scotland, ko the skipper
- THE BLACK MAN WITH A KNIFE, johnny case
- I don't know if I know me, Logan Fulk