Hey, Cruel World
Hey, cruel world.
Leave me alone.
I'm tired and I'm broke.
A bitter old man,
25 years on and im still here,
A blob of blood on a ball of dirt.
When will the madness end?
When the bombs go off?
When your religions die?
When I conform to your every need?
I'm still tired and broke world!
Leave me alone...
Stop knocking at my door,
There is nothing left to save,
If god was alive,
Then he died this way,
Choking on his discontent,
Hey cruel world,
You tied me to the wicker chair,
dressed me in lace and painted my nails.
I can't smile pretty for you no more!
Your demands are insane,
I can't keep up,
How many do I have to buy?
Throw in some knives and you got a deal, world.
I can't have sex no more,
I know your just outside my window, it puts me off.
Will you spread your legs for me, world? ? ?
If I buy a that new car?
If I keep my self clean?
If I buy a little house in a neat little street?
Hey, cruel world.
Don't bother me!
Leave me alone,
I'm still broke and tired.
A blob of blood on a wicker chair,
A neat little house, spreading her legs.
A bitter old man choking on his discontent.
H.J. Shreeve's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hey, Cruel World by H.J. Shreeve )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(1923 - 1998)
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- TRUE MEANING OF CHRISTMAS, Eugene W. Miller
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Coming Home, Slim Jay
- 'Words', Katherine York
- Love, Baki Yigit
- Hopeless Romantic, Shane Clawson
- Firebird Sunset, Salvatore Ala
- Flicker, Jessica Paige Davies
- I will always return, Jessica Paige Davies
- They are my horses, Jessica Paige Davies
- HOW THEY ALL FALL, Terry Collett
- Caucus at the Parking Meter, Donal Mahoney