Shams al-Din Hafiz Shirazi
Though the wine is joyous, and the wind, flowers sorts
Harp music and scent of wine, the officer reports.
If you face an adversary and a jug of wine
Choose the wine because, fate cheats and extorts.
Up your ragged, patched sleeves, hide & keep your cup
Like this flask of wine, fate too bleeds and distorts.
With my teary eyes, I cleanse my robe with wine
Self-restraint and piety is what everyone exhorts.
Seek not your joy in the turn of the firmaments
Even my filtered clear red fluid, dregs sports.
This earth and sky is no more than a bleeding sieve
That sifts and sorts kingly crowns and courts.
Hafiz, your poems invaded Fars and Iraqi ports
It is now the turn of Baghdad and Tabrizi forts.
Translated by: Shahriar Shahriari
Shams al-Din Hafiz Shirazi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ghazal 41 by Shams al-Din Hafiz Shirazi )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
William Ernest Henley
(1849 - 1902)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Listeners, Walter de la Mare
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Woman Work, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- From Church Pew's Grieving..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Disappearing Trauma, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- Without Arms, M.J. Lemon
- কবিতাপল্লি, Hanzala Han
- Other Guys, Amber Carr
- I've Got Time, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- A Vultures Meal, Tiger Auntunette
- Nothing can break the focus., Sumita Jetley
- Ever So Cute, riya misi
- Unlock From Sockets, Lawrence S. Pertillar