WHAT thing shall be held up to woman's beauty?
Where are the bounds of it? Yea, what is all
The world, but an awning scaffolded amid
The waste perilous Eternity, to lodge
This Heaven-wander'd princess, woman's beauty?
The East and West kneel down to thee, the North
And South; and all for thee their shoulders bear
The load of fourfold space. As yellow morn
Runs on the slippery waves of the spread sea,
Thy feet are on the griefs and joys of men
That sheen to be thy causey. Out of tears
Indeed, and blitheness, murder and lust and love,
Whatever has been passionate in clay,
Thy flesh was tempered. Behold in thy body
The yearnings of all men measured and told,
Insatiate endless agonies of desire
Given thy flesh, the meaning of thy shape!
What beauty is there, but thou makest it?
How is earth good to look on, woods and fields,
The season's garden, and the courageous hills,
All this green raft of earth moored in the seas?
The manner of the sun to ride the air,
The stars God has imagined for the night?
What's this behind them, that we cannot near,
Secret still on the point of being blabbed,
The ghost in the world that flies from being named?
Where do they get their beauty from, all these?
They do but glaze a lantern lit for man,
And woman's beauty is the flame therein.
Lascelles Abercrombie's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (From "Vashti" by Lascelles Abercrombie )
- Deine Sucht, Floy Dy (Floyd) Ra (Floydson)
- Your mania, Floy Dy (Floyd) Ra (Floydson)
- जिउनि दाइरियाव, -2009, Ronjoy Brahma
- Celebration, Aftab Alam
- I Cry, Phil Soar
- To Be An Ocean, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Present World, Aftab Alam
- Am I independent?, gajanan mishra
- Call Me, Phil Soar
- Ginkgo tree - a haiku, Susy Evelyne
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Democracy, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Black Death, Matthew Henning
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)