Kabir (1440 - 1518 / Pratapgar, Uttar Pradesh, India)
Friend, Wake Up! Why Do You Go On Sleeping?
Friend, wake up! Why do you go on sleeping?
The night is over— do you want to lose the day
the same way?
Other women who managed to get up early have
already found an elephant or a jewel...
so much was lost already while you slept...
and that was so unnecessary!
The one who loves you understood, but you did not.
You forgot to make a place in your bed next to you.
Instead you spent your life playing.
In your twenties you did not grow
because you did not know who your Lord was.
Wake up! Wake up! There's no one in your bed—
He left you during the long night.
Kabir says: The only woman awake is the woman
who has heard the flute!
Poet Other Poems
- Abode of the Beloved
- Are you looking for me?
- Between the Poles of the Conscious
- Brother, I've Seen Some
- Chewing slowly
- Do Not Go To The Garden Of Flowers
- Friend, Hope For The Guest While You Are...
- Friend, Wake Up! Why Do You Go On Sleepi...
- Hang Up The Swing Of Love Today!
- Having Crossed The River
- He's That Rascally Kind Of Yogi
- Hey brother, why do you want me to talk?
- Hiding In This Cage
- His Death In Benares
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.