I wander along these desolate paths,
no sound, no light- just darkness.
The road twists and turns with no sense of direction;
this way and that way.
Blink for a second
and I’m lost.
I shout out for help,
but no sound; just the echo of silence.
The uneven ground on which I stand gives way.
Sinking into the eternal darkness.
Like hallucinations, images flash all around me.
Falling faster, I strain to make sense of what I see.
The image like an imprint in my mind,
a reminder- I recognise her.
As clear as light she’s infront of me
sparkling like a hot summers day.
Something from inside me reaches out.
I try to grasp her; name still alluding me-
with all my might
and she disappears.
I hit the ground and my eyes awake
from my dream- my inner thoughts.
The feeling still remains-
the empty space in my heart
as I still yearn for you; instead
I wander down this desolate path
alone and without you.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Falling by Matthew English )
- Ludio ludius Lego, michael walkerjohn
- Right to exist, hasmukh amathalal
- Dead Leaves, David Lacey
- Brookstones, Cee Bea
- there it is, Bill Cantrell
- Broken Mirrors Haiku, David Lacey
- In the Deserts of Exile, Jabra Ibrahim Jabra
- True Poetry Is Like A Rose, Denis Martindale
- Lovely butterflies Fly by, See I, Harindhar Reddy
- Believe and trust, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
Andrew Barton Paterson
(17 February 1864 – 5 February 1941)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)