Giuseppe Gioacchino Belli
ER DUELLO DE DAVIDE (David's Duel)
Cos'è er braccio de Dio! mannà un fischietto
Contr'a quer buggiarone de Golìa,
Che si n'avessi avuto fantasia
Lo poteva ammazzà cor un fichetto!
Eppuro, accusì è. Dio benedetto
Vorze mostrà ppe tutta la Giudia,
Che chi è divoto de Gesù e Maria
Po' stà cor un gigante appett'appetto.
Ar vede un pastorello co la fionna,
Strillò Golìa, sartanno in piede: "Oh cazzo!
Stavorta, fijo mio, l'hai fatta tonna".
Ma er fatto annò ch'er povero regazzo,
Grazzie all'anime sante e a la Madonna,
Lo fece cascà giù come un pupazzo.
How powerful is God's hand! to send a child
Against that huge Goliath,
Who could have killed him with a cuff,
If only he had wished to!
But this is how it went. The holy God
Wanted to show throughout the land of Judaea,
That he who is devout to Jesus and Mary
Has the same strength of a giant.
In seeing a young shepherd with a sling,
Goliath jumped to his feet, shouting: "Damn!
This time, my son, you've really done it".
But it turned out that the poor boy,
Thanks to the blessed souls  and to Our Lady,
Made him fall down like a puppet.
Giuseppe Gioacchino Belli's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (ER DUELLO DE DAVIDE (David's Duel) by Giuseppe Gioacchino Belli )
- Philosophy, Justin Reamer
- Eternal Spirits, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Waiting On God, Tom Zart
- Eunuch, arshad arshad
- Messengers Of The Heart, Tom Zart
- Letting Go, Phil Soar
- bury this six feet under your eyelids, Mandolyn ...
- Alighting From Despair, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Life Is Awakened, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Island Grassland, George Egba
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)