Rabia al Basri
I saw myself in a wide green garden, more beautiful than I could begin to understand. In this garden was a young girl. I said to her, "How wonderful this place is!"
"Would you like to see a place even more wonderful than this?" she asked.
"Oh yes," I answered. Then taking me by the hand, she led me on until we came to a magnificent palace, like nothing that was ever seen by human eyes. The young girl knocked on the door, and someone opened it. Immediately both of us were flooded with light.
Only Allah knows the inner meaning of the maidens we saw living there. Each one carried in her hand a serving-tray filled with light. The young girl asked the maidens where they were going, and they answered her, "We are looking for someone who was drowned in the sea, and so became a martyr. She never slept at night, not one wink! We are going to rub funeral spices on her body."
"Then rub some on my friend here," the young girl said.
"Once upon a time," said the maidens, "part of this spice and the fragrance of it clung to her body -- but then she shied away."
Quickly the young girl let go of my hand, turned, and said to me:
"Your prayers are your light;
Your devotion is your strength;
Sleep is the enemy of both.
Your life is the only opportunity that life can give you.
If you ignore it, if you waste it,
You will only turn to dust."
Then the young girl disappeared.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Dream Fable by Rabia al Basri )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- April Rain Song, Langston Hughes
- Let America be America Again, Langston Hughes
- I Dream A World, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- A Lonely Love, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Happy Birthday to A Friend I'm Missing, Akhtar Jawad
- THE BREAST CANCER JOURNEY, Rosie Bourget
- Wanting To Feel, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Submonition, Dorothy Kardas, Psy.D. Th.D.
- HURT, Rosie Bourget
- I'm Kunta, Ivan Brooks Sr
- Martin Chuzzlewit II, douglas scotney
- In my head., Jessica Amburgey
- Groove Of A New Sound, RoseAnn V. Shawiak