Risha Ahmed (12 yrs)
Don't Ask Me to Write a Poem
Poems are tricky expressions
It’s obvious you’re oblivious to that
Put one single word out of line
And the whole thing could go kersplat!
Similes are as difficult as quantum physics
Metaphors freeze my brain
Alliteration makes me mad
Personification beats me up with a cane
And rhyming! Don’t talk about rhyming!
Don’t even dream of mentioning that
Now, what shall I rhyme “that” with?
Wombat, muskrat or doormat?
I've had my share of verbal irony
When I’m told writing poems are a walk in the park
Sarcasm is oh, so fun!
Poetry sure is not about shooting in the dark
Onomatopoeia makes me hiss
Oxymorons are purely disgusting
Assonances send a sharp blast to my head
Repetitions are boring, are boring
Don’t ask me to write a poem
Don’t tell me to dish out a verse
Don’t beg me to pull out a sonnet
Like I've hidden it somewhere in my purse
Don’t expect me to break out in rhyme
It’s not like I have them stocked in my shelf
If you need a poem that badly
Why don’t you write one yourself?
Risha Ahmed (12 yrs)'s Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Don't Ask Me to Write a Poem by Risha Ahmed (12 yrs) )
- Dreams Create a Beautiful World, Rohit Sapra
- The touch of a star is like the touch of.., Raymond Sawyer
- The Art of Creation, Anthony Di'anno
- Breathing slow, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Under the Same Moon, Amber Carreon
- You and Your Self, Frank Avon
- delicious red, Mandolyn ...
- Better than that, Cee Bea
- kya mila-, sanjay kumar maurya
- क्या मिला, sanjay kumar maurya
Poem of the Day
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- After Making Love We Hear Footsteps, Galway Kinnell
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Balade of Complaint, Geoffrey Chaucer
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(1 February 1927)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)