Ferdinand L Quintos
Does A Person Have A Soul?
Does a mortal person have soul,
to this I have my own answer
based on event yet I recall
that I will tell this time and here.
Long time ago, one midsummer,
on a lazy warm afternoon,
father sent me and my sister
go take the horse where grass has grown.
She towed the beast by its tether
along the trail we often trod,
gleefully, I brought up the rear,
stick in hand to use as prod.
What ensued next I do not know,
I felt myself, on air, floating,
turning my gaze to things below,
I saw mother running, wailing.
Mother picked up a limp body
and held it close to her bosom,
just then I saw the boy was me,
helped by people, she took him home.
I continued to float, up, up, and up
borne by the wind in growing swirl,
then suddenly it let me drop,
felt my self fall in dark tunnel.
As lights came back at tunnel’s end,
felt my fall break, my dive ended,
when, slowly, my eyes opened
I found myself laid flat on bed.
I looked up and saw sad faces,
seeing mother, I gave a nod,
then I heard ecstatic voices,
“He is alive, thanks be to God.”
After few days, to me was told,
the horse I pricked with my stick,
it kicked up and knocked me out cold,
prize I got for one naughty trick.
Years have passed, but I keep thinking:
who was it that on air floated,
who viewed the scenes then unfolding,
who pain no longer affected?
Ferdinand L Quintos's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Does A Person Have A Soul? by Ferdinand L Quintos )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- अब भूल जाना है दिल की सुनना - ab bhul ja.., yashovardhan kulkarni
- Himself a PoetSittng, Daniel Brick
- Losing the Touch, Kim Barney
- [ABC]Watch Pretty Little Liars Season 5 .., Renz Barns
- Australia Day - 26 January 2015, Danny Draper
- Elope, Salleh Chowdhury
- Journey's End, Raymond A. Foss
- Dimly Lighting The Way, Margaret Alice Second
- Threads of Her Journey, Raymond A. Foss
- A Journey of Treasure, Raymond A. Foss