Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
Dancing As Fast As I Can
The alphabets were standing in a line 26 strong,
The Language Door Keeper knew at once something
No verbs or nouns or personifications, no sentence
structures, or punctuation.
What is the problem The Language Door Keeper
demanded to know,
what is the reason for this unseemly show?
What has brought about this disregard for
the written word?
Letters all in a row, why this is absurd!
Who indeed wishes to be heard?
who will step forward to explain this line
without metaphor, rhythm or rhyme?
Come on he urged, you are wasting time.
There must be someone out there looking for you
Why are you standing here, your words overdue?
Well sir, stepped forward the letter A,
being the first in line, she had been urged to have the first say...
We had a strange request sir, asking words to dance,
and some letters won't stand a chance, they can't be
found in any dance.
I am trained to waltz, tango cha cha, and do a little jazz,
I can tap, and …
Stop bragging yelled the letter “J” I can jitter bug, no letter
is better than me cutting a rug!
I can do the Charleston spoke up the letter “C”,
I can kick high with the help
given by the other eight letters, just wait and see.
The other letters became loud and enraged,
like wild animals in a cage.
It is not our fault some letter are omitted from dance
move us around, give us a chance...
We can break dance, shouted “B” and “K”...
We can do the samba spoke us “S” and the show off “A”.
No! No! Interrupted The Language Door Keeper, you have
it all wrong
the request is for words that give rhythm and meaning,
to a poem or a song.
Letter in sequences to form words used everyday.
Have you lost your thinking power, are they in decay?
Now the word “sad” won't do and “Cry” there is no use for you.
“Happy” “Love” and “smile” can render a melody.
Haven't you noticed the words you become can set a poet free.
The idea dear friends is that you enhance written thoughts
that sparkle with metaphors giving writers a choice...
Asking words to dance, is what they endeavor to do,
Grab a partner dear alphabets and make words new;
Put your heads together, step out of the line
Form some sentences to make writing divine.
What a privilege, calling on words to dance
slip in between someone thoughts and give it a chance.
Soon all was quiet and words took form, short and long
sentences were born...grand words emerged resounding
from the plea...
Asking words to dance sets hearts free.
Dorothy A. Holmes
Dorothy (Alves) Holmes's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Dancing As Fast As I Can by Dorothy (Alves) Holmes )
- Love Me, Love Me, You Just Love Me, Bijay Kant Dubey
- The sweetest song, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Be logic., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Loving Me, Leave Me Not, Desert You Not,.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- L'amour est un Triste Caméléon, Hebert Logerie
- स्वप्न, dhirajkumar taksande
- <<< আমি বাংলার পাতি মাষ্টার, Abdul Wahab
- Lost homes, hasmukh amathalal
- A Tiny Island, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- God's Kind Of Poetry., Darlene Walsh
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(18 November 1939)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns