At the junction of 'across' and 'down'
The double-duty letter bears the strain
Of intersecting words, which devilry
Has crucified in clues to prod the brain.
Clues that cunningly conceal their sense,
As if to solve their Delphic Oracles
Would so unlock a Power beyond the power
Of squares to dam up what the pencil fills.
Words submit themselves to patterned blanks
And reproduce the master plan exact,
Like Star Trek heroes energised they go
From frame to frame, assembling up intact.
What Compiler would not wish to spur
Such miracles of replication too?
We who have truck with words must hope for more,
A richer transference with every clue.
Ananta Madhavan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Crossword Puzzle by Ananta Madhavan )
Did you read them?
- National flag., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Examined, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Trance in the rain, Nassy Fesharaki
- Azal se mauzood hoon..., Azhar Sabri
- Time Chases Me, Neela Nath
- Elimination, Hans Raj Sharma
- We have come thru..., bill costley
- The elements of loss, nick feiner
- Lives short lived, nick feiner
- Waiting to bloom, nick feiner