I could have loved Cody
or Hickok or Dillon or Doc.
I would have loved the feel of trail dust
falling from the brim of a worn hat
to powder my naked breasts.
I do love callused hands,
muscle and bone of cold steel,
silver flecked hair tousled wild
by riding across the desert,
skin bronzed crisp by wind blown sun.
They were the kind of men
a woman would just go bad for,
die for, without thinking of dying;
living only to feel those rough hands
roaming her own hills and valleys.
I would love to be kissed
tenderly by warm soft lips,
parting hungrily to take their fill
atop moonlit mesas,
and by hidden desert pools.
When the same owl sounds
and meadowlark songs
echo through my window
as the cowboy heard in lonely trail camps,
I think he might have loved me with such fire.
Sometimes, the hunger for it
makes me feel lonesome
clear to the pit of my belly.
The years between us cannot be crossed,
yet I know; I could have loved a cowboy.
Shirley Alexander's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Cowboys by Shirley Alexander )
- Long before my birth (cavatina), Gert Strydom
- Let Me Be Her<3, Nautica Moxley
- Absalom, Gert Strydom
- Freedom Is Calling, Tony Adah
- God and Guru, gajanan mishra
- Left Naked And Exposed, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Birth day, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- TWILIGHT, Meggie Gultiano
- Morning prayers., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Favorite Quote, Nautica Moxley
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Autumn Song, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(18 November 1939)