Presents From Jim
Nineteen sixty-nine. The autumn fair was in Athens.
I was sixteen. You had finished your senior year.
You threw well aimed darts, and loaded my arms
with cheap stuffed toys; soft treasures for my bed.
Arms and objections occupied, I leaned tight
while you held me from behind, whispering
unfamiliar syllables into my warming ear.
I remember your hands, and how I wanted
the force of them firm around my breasts;
fingertips exploring chilled hard nipples.
Old enough to want, too young to recognize
the scent you were leaving on my expectations.
You stood silhouetted against carnival lights;
Ferris wheel colors haloing your dark hair.
I grabbed my instamatic; snapped a hunk of you
as you left for California. And I am still here.
Shirley Alexander's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Presents From Jim by Shirley Alexander )
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
- Michael P. McParland
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Boy Who Laughed At Santa Claus, Ogden Nash
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Obama...God....And Brothers Castro - The.., James B. Earley
- Human Family, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- What to do with this life?, gajanan mishra
- Shady Retreat..., Denis Martindale
- It is open, hasmukh amathalal
- Of Nature.Of free Will., SAK Reddy
- A Lasting Psalm, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Catalyst, Lubinda Lubinda
- I Love You..!, SAK Reddy
- Into Depths, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- You will find, hasmukh amathalal
- Bale Visions, Adeosun Olamide